NOTICE: Select safety courses are currently being offered in-person as part of GPRC’s Relaunch Strategy. Online and videoconference courses will be available for registration and will run as scheduled.
You can start self-paced Online courses at any time. To start sooner than a listed course date, contact us here
OFFER: Get up to 2/3 of your employee training costs covered through the Canada Job Grant.
Training can be done online, on-site, and in the classroom. Classes can be part-time or full-time.
Apply now >>
GPRC Continuing Education offers a variety of training options for individuals want to obtain their Class 3 licence.
A Class 3 licence in Alberta is a driver’s licence that allows you to drive large trucks, sometimes with air brakes. It is really all about the axles. If there are 3 or more axles you are looking at Class 3 licence or Class 1 or 2 depending on the vehicle. A Class 3 is a professional commercial operator’s licence that you would only get if you wanted a job in the driving industry.
With a Class 3 licence in Alberta you can drive:
- any motor vehicle that the holder of a Class 5 licence may drive
- a single motor vehicle with 3 or more axles
- a motor vehicle with 3 or more axles that is towing a trailer with one or more axles (if the trailer is not equipped with airbrakes)
- a Class 2 or 4 type vehicle without passengers (bus, taxi, ambulance)
- a Class 1, 2 or 6 vehicles as a learner only
Examples of vehicles include:
- a dump truck
- a tandem axle straight truck
- water truck
- vacuum truck
- pump truck
- mixer (cement) truck
- large flatbed or tow trucks
- garbage and front-load trucks
- lugger or roll-off trucks
- larger road-rail vehicles
You cannot drive a vehicle that:
- can seat more than 15 people including the driver
- transports passengers for hire
To learn more about what a Class 3 licence is and the steps to obtain it, please visit our Professional Driver FAQ page.
With a Class 3 licence, you can get a job in the oilfield, with private contractors and cities or towns.
You can also drive a small bus, taxi or ambulance with no passengers as well as a transport cab. This might be helpful if you work in a yard or mechanic’s shop and need to test drive the vehicles.
Class 3 Gold Package
Silver curriculum plus (see below):
• Cargo Securement
• Hours of Service & Fatigue Management
• In truck one-on-one instruction** (6 additional hours)
Class 3 Silver Package
• Air Brake Endorsement
• Oilfield Driver Awareness
• In Truck one-on-one instruction** (16 hours)
Training packages do not include fees associated with the Class 3 licence written test or road test.
Registration can be completed by phone at 780-539-2975, Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
All students must possess a valid Class 5 Alberta licence with the GDL removed, Air Brakes (Q Endorsement) and applicable written test completed prior to starting in-truck training.
Courses in the 'Class 3 Driver Training' category