Research Planning Committee
Applied research development at GPRC is guided by the Research Planning Committee. It is chaired by the
Vice-President Academics and Research.
- Vice-President Academics and Research, Chair
- Academic Deans (3)
- Director GPRC Research & Innovation
- Chairperson Representative
- ASA President (or delegate)
- Chair of the Research Ethics Board
- Chair of the Animal Care Committee
- Waggle Editor
- One Faculty representative from each School
- One Employee Association Member for
- One Alberta Union of Provincial Employee Member
- One Student Representative for a one-year term
- One Communications representative
|Membership Nominated by:
||Vice-President Academics and Research
|Membership Approved by:
||Research Planning Committee
||Standing Committee of Academic Council
|Terms of Reference Approved by:
|Terms of Reference Review
||Every two years
- Establish, review and maintain Institutional Research policies and procedures. This
may include:a) defining terms relevant to applied research; b) policy development, review and updating; c)
developing a process to determine which College applied research initiatives to advance and promote to Tri-Council;
and d) making recommendations related to infrastructure for applied research.
- Ensure Research Planning Committee renewal while balancing consistent representation
from defined stakeholder groups.
- Create a positive environment within the Committee (and the College) to ensure ongoing dialogue about applied
research. This dialogue includes discussion on topics such as:
- what is (applied) research?,
- what are the purpose(s) and priorities of applied research at GPRC?,
- what is the role of the College, departments and other constituents or stakeholders in supporting research and
- how might research and research activities be integrated into student experiences and student learning at
- how do we balance and integrate research and instruction?
- Facilitate communication and information sharing regarding ongoing and emerging
applied research projects with the College so as to stimulate interest, promote a positive applied research
culture, and create synergies where opportunities emerge.
- When requested, review the (draft) annual update to the Institutional Research Plan
as brought forward by the Director GPRC Research & Innovation, and provide comments and recommendations for
consideration as the Director prepares the Institutional Research Plan for inclusion within GPRC’s
Comprehensive Institutional Plan.
- Provide support and advocacy for applied research.
- Ensure relevant training is available to GPRC faculty and staff. This will include:
a) relevant GPRC research policies, guidelines and processes; b) managing applied research (from idea, through
funding, implementation and publication of findings); and c) responsible conduct of research.
For information about the Research Planning Committee, please contact: